As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Having a great bike lock is essential these days especially with the increasing crime rate. Since there are many bike locks available in the market, it is difficult to choose one. But, do not be worried as we’ve got you covered. Below you will not only find the various kinds of locks to choose from but also the best bike lock for city to purchase.
Different types of Locks
Choosing the best and most suitable lock for yourself means knowing the various kinds out there in the market. There are four different types of locks. Each of this lock varies in size, weight and ease of use. The types of lock and their level of security has been listed below:
This category includes zip tie-based designs and the familiar coiled cable lock which come with a combination tumbler. These locks are not only easy to use but also very easy to carry around. However, they do not offer the best level of security. We would advise you to use this kind of a lock only if you are not going far from the bike. Also, make sure you don’t stay away from your bike for very long or that your bike stays in your view with this type of a lock as it can be easily broken by a thief.
Chain locks have been in the market for very long and are without a doubt a good way to secure your bike as long as the chain and lock shackle are made up of a strong material. Do not use any chain with a gym locker to secure your bike as they will hardly offer any security. Get a proper chain lock which can through both the wheels of your bike and sometimes even the frame. Such locks might be really heavy but the security they offer really makes them worth it.
Folding locks are quite similar to chain locks as they also can be wrapped around both the wheels and frame. These locks can then be wrapped around something stable nearby in order to attach the bike with it. The specialty of these locks is that they can be folded making them travel friendly. However, they do come with one downside. The part from where the lock can be folded are often comparatively weaker. These points can be an easy target for a thief. We would advise you to not use this lock and go away from your bike for very long.
This category includes the heaviest and most secure locks available. These locks are made up of very strong material and cannot be defeated by thieves easily.
Best Bike Lock For City
Following is a list of the best bike locks that we have found after lots of trials and tests.
The Kryptonite New York is one of the best u locks available. The lock is not too expensive and comes with a guarantee of protecting your bike from theft. In fact, the company guarantees to replace your bike if it gets stolen while it had the kryptonite new york lock on.
- 2kgs in weight which not a lot for a U Lock.
- The “u” part of the lock is made up of 16mm hardened steel.
- The lock has a crossbar design (Pass-Thru) which means it cannot be rotated from either sides.
- Presence of double deadbolts makes the lock much stronger.
- It comes with 3 keys.
- The set includes a LED replaceable key fob so that it is easier to see in the dark.
- Moreover, the lock can be easily taken from one place to another via Flexframe-U Bracket.
It is one of the best folding bike locks. The lock is reasonably priced and has a rating of Sold Secure Gold.
- It weighs 1.1 kg only making it one of the lightest best locks available.
- The lock is very flexible meaning it can be used to attach your bike to various objects.
- It provides safety against usual theft tools. In addition to this, this lock can withstand bolt cutters, crowbars and hacksaws making it one of the securest locks that you can use for your bike.
- The lock includes a steel casing and its strap is Patented Boaflexicore®.
- It comes as a pair which have the same locks. The benefit of the lock being a pair is that it can provide double security.
The Abus Granit Extreme 59 is the strongest u lock available till date with a torsional resistance of 1,000Nm greater than its closest rival. It has a Thatcham rating.
- It weighs about 2.7kgs which is quite heavy.
- Its shackle is square shaped and is 16mm.
- It is made up of a special type of steel namely temper hardened steel.
- The locks comes with 2 keys. One of these has a light to help you see in the dark.
- There is cover for the keyhole so that it does not get dirty.
- Its cylinder is made in such a way that it cannot be picked on by thieves.
This is one of cheapest locks available. However, since it is a zip tie (light weight) lock, it is not very secure.
• It hardly has any weight since it weighs only 0.23kgs. The lock can be easily carried anywhere.
• It comes with a three digit combination which you can choose and change anytime.
• It is 21 inches long.
• It comes as a pair.
This chain lock is easy to carry and has been rated as house hold secure.
- The hiplok gold chain lock is heavy as it weighs 2.5kgs.
- The 10mm chain is made up of hardened steel.
- The 12mm shackle is made up of steel and is covered with a resistant nylon. The sleeve can be removed and washed.
- The chain lock can be worn around your waist/abdomen. This makes it easy to carry the lock from one place to another while riding your bike. The chain is adjustable to fit waist sizes 28 to 44 inches.
- It comes with a buckle which can be fastened when you wear it on your waist.
- It comes with 3 different keys for different locks.
Abus Granit Extreme 59 because it is the strongest out of all the locks. Its only downside is that it is very expensive.
Check out the following table where we have summarized the best nordic walking shoes reviews with key specs and the latest prices. ...
Are you planning to start a Nordic walk and in a search for gloves to complete the accessories list? We have reviewed the best gloves for nordic walking you need to get going.