Are electric weed burners any good? In this post, I will be discussing the advantages and disadvantages of electric weed burners so read on…
Want to buy an electric weed burner? Check out our recommended electric weed burners on Coopers of Stortford.
Weeds have always been a threat to lawns. No landscaper likes weeds in his lawn. They can take over your lawn and make it look rough. To worsen the situation, they grow very rapidly, and it’s only a matter of time before your green carpet looks outlandish. Well, this is where weed burners come into play. These weed burners have been around for quite some time now. But not many landscapers use them to get rid of weeds.
There are two kinds of weed burners, i.e., gas weed burners and electric weed burners. Today, we’ll discuss the electric weed burners in particular. We would discuss them in detail to clear the misconceptions about using them and discuss some of the advantages of using them. Let’s delve further!
Are Electric Weed Burners Any Good?
Most of the landscapers must have found themselves wondering about it. Do these weed burners work well? Well, the precise answer is yes. Let’s discuss why they are good for your lawn.
Electric Weed Burners are Not Harmful to the Soil
That is a general misconception that electric weed burners are harmful to the soil. But this is not true. They are not bad for your soil in any way. If you go for the other methods, such as using weed killer sprays, you may end up damaging your soil. The reason is that the weed killer sprays have those harsh chemicals that are considered invasive for the soil. Over time, you’d notice that your lawn is not as healthy as it used to be. In contrast to this, electric weed killers don’t have any harsh chemicals. All they do is burn the weeds to their death.
Another reason why they’re better than weed killer sprays is that when you use a spray to kill weeds, the drops of your spray can go into the nearby lakes or rivers in case of heavy rain. Wind can also take them away. When they enter a water reservoir, they’ll enter the human food chain. That would eventually result in different diseases.
Furthermore, the drops are very likely to drift away to the nearby plants. If they get onto the desirable plants, they’ll affect their growth as well. Thankfully, that’s not the case with the electric weed burners. They are not in the form of sprays, so there are no drops. All in all, there are fewer chances of damaging the desirable plants.
Ease to Use
Another thing that sets electric weed burners apart from the other methods is that they’re super easy to use. All you need to do is carry the machine and apply the flame to the unwanted weed and plants. Carrying the machine doesn’t take much of your effort either, as it is lightweight. You’d need to keep heating a weed for approximately 10-12 seconds. It will most likely kill the weed.
However, some weeds develop their roots deeply. To kill those weeds, you may need to apply heat for a few more seconds. Applying heat for 20-25 seconds works in such cases.
The weed burner kit is light and easy to carry. Furthermore, most of these machines come with wheels to further assist you in maneuvering them. Since most of the landscapers are older people, this feature makes flame weeding a piece of cake for them. Now they no longer need to carry the weed burner kit with them all the time. All they need to carry is a wand that weighs next to nothing. This wand is kept long enough for the users’ convenience. When using a weed burner with a long wand, the landscaper won’t need to bend much. Seriously, killing weeds from a lawn was never this easy and cool.
Apart from that, you can customize the heat intensity to suit your needs. As mentioned earlier, applying heat for ten to twelve seconds does the trick most of the time. But there are some well-developed weeds too that don’t die in such a short time. To kill those weeds, you can apply heat for a bit longer or increase heat intensity. The heat with high intensity will do the work more quickly. However, be mindful that you should do this with utmost care as the flame is even more dangerous. Some weed burners feature an ignition. Like a vehicle, you can ignite the weed burner using a switch.
Disadvantages of Using Electric Weed Burners
Now that we have discussed the benefits of using electric weed burners, let’s discuss its disadvantages.
- The most obvious disadvantage is that using it recklessly can lead to unpleasant scenarios. It may result in serious injuries and even death in some extreme cases. Always make sure that you use the weed burner carefully. Also, keep your weed burner away from the children and pets.
- Another disadvantage of using an electric weed burner is that its unintended spread can harm the desirable weeds. While careful use kills the unwanted weeds, using it carelessly may kill the desirable plants also.
- Using electric weed burners for a long time can introduce health hazards too. Breathing in the smoke of a weed burner will affect your lungs. Using them for a long time may result in skin rashes also.
How Does an Electric Weed Killer Kill Weeds
It is also known as an electric weed torch or thermal weeding stick. The working of an electric weed killer is simple. You throw the flame on the unwanted weeds and plants, and it destroys their tissues. In most cases, you can kill a weed by applying the heat for ten to twelve seconds. But if the weeds are fully grown, you’d need to apply heat for twenty to twenty-five seconds. If their roots survive the flaming, it’s only a matter of time before they grow again. You’d need to repeat the flame weeding process to get rid of them.
Here are some of the safety precautions that you should take when using electric weed killers. Always remember that they are important for you as they ensure your safety. That will keep you, the weed burner, and your lawn safe.
- Make sure you read the user manual before using the electric weed burner. Every unit comes with its user manual from the manufacturer, and it has tips to ensure your safety.
- Always use it for flame weeding or the other intended uses mentioned in the user manual. Never use it as a heating source or to melt ice.
- We can’t stress enough that you should always keep the electric weed torch away from the children and pets.
- In case of any problem, reach out to a professional that has enough knowledge. Many home care companies have men who know how to troubleshoot the problems and repair them.
- Never use them in windy conditions. It’s needless to say that the wind can spread fire to the surroundings and damage your lawn big time.
Using an electric weed burner is considered the best way of eliminating weed from the lawn, and for a good reason. Electric weed torches are efficient, harmless for soil, and reduce your effort. But you need to use them carefully, or else you may end up damaging the nearby plants. Make sure you take all the safety measures before using them and store them at a place away from the reach of your children.