As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Planting flowers and working on the garden can be counted as the most stress-releasing task to do. Most of the homeowners are fond of growing their vegetables in the garden. Who doesn’t love healthy homegrown vegetables? There must be a suitable planter box where you can grow your vegetables in. You can use that box for years to come. So, in this short guide, we will share with you tips on how to build outdoor planter box on your own.
Don’t want to build your own planter box? Check Out our recommended models on Amazon:
Last update on 2021-09-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
How To Build Outdoor Planter Box
Building a planter box is not as hard as it sounds. If you follow simple steps and the right equipment, you can get a perfect box for your garden. Once completed, these boxes can offer space for a kitchen herb garden, a patch of colorful blooming flowers, or just vegetables. You can efficiently save money on your new garden because building a planter box is an easy do-it-yourself project.
- Materials used
To create planter boxes, certain materials can be your best choices. They include treated limber, vinyl, and redwood limber. The limber should have eight boards, 4 for length and 4 for height. You also need wood screws, square stakes, wood barrier, dirt (must be a mixture of garden soil and garden prep mixture), and any materials for trellis. For herb or vegetable planters, use untreated pine or cedar. The ornamental planters need pressure-treated lumber. It should never be used for the planters that grow edible plants.
Most people choose redwood to create the outside of their planter box. The wood must be cut to the length you need. For this purpose, your limber store can help you. You will have to cut the wood yourself if you are going for vinyl or pre-treated limber for your box.
- Take out the paper and sketch out your plans for the planter box on that paper. The shape and size of your planter are very important because it decides the number of building materials you will need for this project. For better results, use computer design software, or you can purchase commercially produced plans from your local home and garden center.
- Cut the boards to the size you want. To connect the sides, screw wood screws insides of the board. The rough surfaces or any other edges should be sand cut.
- You can drill holes anywhere you want by using lag bolts.
- Now, put the box on the ground and measure the weed barrier.
- On the top of the weed barrier, place the first box. The four corners should be added with the stakes. Wherever these stakes are going, put a hole in the weed barrier through that. This way, they could go directly into the ground.
- The bottom of your planter must be drilled with the holes to allow the excess water to drain out. That is good because the bottom of the planter can rot if excess water is there. It can be very damaging.
- Like you build the first box, build a second one by screwing wood screws into four boards. Place the second box on the top of the first.
- You have to secure the first and second box together, so screw wood screws through the stakes into the outside of the second box.
- Estimate the square footage of the dirt you need to fill the box with dirt.
- Now is the time for you to plant the garden.
- You would want to prolong the life of the box, so treat the exterior with a water-resistant stain if it’s pine or some other untreated wood. Weather damage can also be prevented by painting the exterior. Cedarwood can be left bare.
Benefits of planter boxes
It makes it easier for you to garden if you create a raised garden. Having the beds raised makes it easier to get to the plants. The beds must stay clear of weeds so like the box with a weed barrier. Using the planter box, you can garden in any size yard. Make sure wherever you make a garden, that place gets the most light. In many homes, it’s the front yard. Wonderful square foot gardens can be built with planter boxes. The square foot gardening technique is very useful because you can optimize the output of the product you are growing there.
Plants need vertical growth as well, so build a trellis to go on top of your garden. That will maximize your planter box space as well.
Number and width of the planter boxes
It is important to know what you are working on. If your yard is small and you want just one planter box for it, make its length 6 feet and width 4 feet. That would mean it has 24 boxes to plant it by the square foot method.
Make sure your box is not too wide. The maximum width it should have is 4 feet because it must be approachable. You must be able to reach your plants. You don’t want to have to climb on top of the planter box. The length of the planter box can be set as per your need and want. You can also run long planter boxes all against your fence.
Planter boxes designs
There is a variety of designs available for your boxes. You can set whatever design you want. It can be enclosed, and raised garden builds, a garden box with benches, raised garden beds, garden beds with hinged covers, garden boxes with trellis, painted garden box, border raised planters, or kitchen garden design.
What wood is best for planter boxes?
The type of wood you choose for the planter will decide its durability. Make sure the types of wood you choose are naturally rot-resistant and reliable. Redwood and Black Locust have been known to last up to 20 years. Another gorgeous-looking wood cedar is also rot-resistant, and it can last 10-15 years.
How do I keep my planter box from rotting?
The perfect choice to save your planter box from rotting is sand. You can also use peat moss mixed with vermiculite. Refrain using garden soil because it is too heavy, so it will compact together and prevent adequate drainage. The planter box must be provided with air circulation, so place the box on top of some bridge or wood pieces. There should be at least 2 inches of space for the air.
Do planter boxes need to be lined?
Deck planters usually rot with time. That can be avoided with the use of a liner. Water and fungi cannot contact the food if you line the planter. The lining should be done with a sheet of plastic. Make sure you trim the sheet so that it reaches but does not go over the rim. Next, staple the plastic around the rim. Letting the excess water drain out of the plastic liner, poke through the drilled drainage holes by using a screwdriver or a sharp stick. If you own large deck planter boxes, you will have to look for better solutions.
For decades, it was recommended that a layer of gravel should be placed at the bottom of a planting container. That led to the damage in plants because gravel takes up the room, which otherwise soil would fill. That makes the pot much smaller for its plant.
Using the right equipment and following accurate guidelines, you can make an outdoor planter box like a pro. Cut the boards as per the length you want and screw their ends together with the help of wood screws. Under the first layer, put the weed barrier down. Now put the second layer on top of the first one. After you put stakes at the corners, screw into the frame. Lastly, add dirt and plant seeds you want to grow. Water them and let them grow into a beautiful garden.