The last thing you want to see in your kitchen is a moldy painted wall, but if you have one then you know that it’s hard to get rid of. In this blog post, I am going to show you how easy it can be and will share my tips on how to remove mold from painted walls :
How To Remove Mold From Painted Walls?
Mold is a common occurrence in damp climates. It can be found anywhere, but it’s most often seen on surfaces that are hard to reach or touch, like the underside of carpets and along the edges of ceilings. And when mold gets into your home, you need to take care of it right away because it can cause respiratory problems and allergic reactions if someone comes into contact with it.
Here are some steps for removing mold from painted walls:
Dampen a cloth with water mixed with vinegar or lemon juice (or ammonia) then scrub over the area until all visible signs have disappeared. You may also want to try using an old toothbrush dipped in water mixed with detergent if you don’t have anything else.
If your walls are already covered with a layer of mildew, scrape them clean with a plastic scraper. Make sure to wear protective gloves and goggles during this step. Once you’re done, rinse the area thoroughly with water and let it dry completely before applying any primer or paint.
Mold can spread quickly from one room to another, so be careful to check all surfaces that might have been affected by moisture and remove mold as soon as possible. If you feel like the problem is too big for you to handle, call in professional help instead.
After removing mold from your home, make sure to keep it away by keeping humidity levels low and running air purifiers wherever there is carpet. Also, vacuum regularly and clean surfaces with a mixture of bleach and water to keep them from coming back.
What is the best way to remove mold from painted walls?
One of the best ways to remove mold from painted walls is to apply vinegar or lemon juice diluted with water directly to the moldy area using a rag. Leave this mixture on for about 20 minutes before wiping it away. This method is non-toxic and inexpensive, making it ideal for people who are wary of using harsh chemicals in their homes.
If you’re not sure whether your painted walls have been affected by mold, you can test them by applying a drop of water on the surface. If there’s no sign that your walls have been affected within 24 hours, then they should be safe to use again even if they do look wet after cleaning them with plain water. Alternatively, you can spray a mixture of bleach and water over the wall and let it dry before using the room again.
Pour some of the mixtures into a spray bottle then spritz onto the moldy area and let it sit for about 20 minutes. After that, scrub vigorously using dish-washing soap and water before rinsing with clean water. Make sure to wear protective gloves and goggles when doing this because bleach is harmful to human skin.
If there are signs of mold on your walls but you don’t feel like testing them with plain water or spraying them directly with bleach, you can use lemon juice diluted with water instead. The citric acid in lemons can act as an effective alternative to bleach while still killing off mold spores effectively.
An easy way to remove mold from painted walls is by making a paste out of baking soda and water. Apply this paste onto the affected area and leave it on for about 20 minutes before scrubbing off with a damp cloth. Rinse with clean water afterwards to make sure that there’s no residue left behind. This method is gentle enough for painted walls but effective at eliminating mold that has settled into porous surfaces like drywall or plaster.
If you want a more natural way of removing mold from your home without using bleach, vinegar, or baking soda, you can try using ammonia instead. Just mix some ammonia powder with water in a spray bottle then spritz it onto the affected area before wiping away with a rag as usual. You can also add dish-washing soap to this mixture if you don’t feel comfortable with the ammonia alone.
An easier way to remove mold from your painted walls is by using a commercial product that has been designed for this particular task. You can just spray these products onto the affected area then leave them on overnight before rinsing with water in the morning. Follow up by wiping all surfaces dry with a cloth or paper towel to prevent any moisture spots from forming behind.
If you want something quick and easy, you can use bleach-based sprays but make sure not to use too much of it at once because even bleach can damage paint when used excessively. Just spritz directly onto the affected area before letting it sit for about half an hour before scrubbing off with dish-washing soap and water afterwards. Rinse thoroughly before using the area again.
You can also use commercial mold remover sprays that are specifically designed to remove stains or mildew but just remember that these chemicals can be harsh on paint so make sure not to use too much at once or leave it on for too long. Spray directly onto the affected area then let it sit before scrubbing with water and dish-washing soap afterwards.
Is bleach or vinegar better to kill mold?
The question of whether bleach or vinegar is better to kill mold is still debatable. Bleach can be very harsh on painted walls but it does work well at killing mold spores compared to vinegar, which only works by preventing the growth of mold instead.
A mixture of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide is an effective way to kill mold growing on your walls without affecting the paint underneath. This method is considered more environmentally friendly because hydrogen peroxide breaks down into water and oxygen after it’s done eliminating mold spores from your home.
If you prefer using commercial chemicals, one of the most recommended products for removing stains or mildew is Zep Commercial Stained Mildew Stain Remover. You just have to spray this chemical onto affected areas then let it sit before scrubbing with water and dish-washing soap afterwards.
How safe are bleach and vinegar to kill mold?
Both bleach and vinegar are considered low-toxicity chemicals because they are diluted with water for everyday cleaning purposes. Despite being considered “less toxic”, however, bleach is still dangerous when used in high concentrations so it should still be handled with care. Also, no matter how safe your chosen chemical may be, always remember not to mix it with any other product or solvent until you know what you’re dealing with first before applying the mixture directly onto surfaces.
These are some of our tips for removing mold from painted walls without damaging your paint job in the process.
References: How to Get Rid of Mold on Bathroom Walls